- Obey your thirst! (Sprite)
- Have it your way! (Burger King)
- I don’t wanna grow up! (Toys R Us)
- It’s so easy, a caveman could do it! (Geico)
- The quicker picker-upper! (Bounty Paper Towels)
- Expect more, pay less! (Target)
- When it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight! (Fed Ex)
- Because you’re worth it! (Loreal Cosmetics)
- That was easy! (Staples)
Even as you’re reading these you’re hearing in your head how the original commercial sounded! The business world has inculcated in us the mistaken notion that WE are what it’s all about! From a business point-of-view, certainly! In regard to Life… NO! Our culture has convinced us that life, living and relationships should be like fast food… fast, easy and at no cost to us! Given this cultural assumption, why are we so surprised at the shallowness that we see around us today? We see it everywhere… on reality shows, in gossip tabloids and unfortunately also in relationships! People who crave to be known by others and yet have no desire to truly know themselves are all waiting for their fifteen minutes of fame!
I contend that it is from within the context of significant relationships that we get to know ourselves. Today, choose a really good friend and ask that they tell you about yourself… good points, bad points, all of it! Don’t listen with the intention of rebutting! Just listen. Thank them. And then go away and reflect upon their input. Instead of presuming that there is no validity in what they had to say, look for even the slightest degree of validity in their insights into you… insights which no commercial can convey.